Monday, September 5, 2011

A Day of Firsts

August 22 was a day of firsts for 5 out of the 6 in the de Arrieta household. It was Dalton's first day at Flagview Intermediate School attending 5th grade. Xandry's and my first day at Grammar #2. She was in 3rd grade and I was teaching 4th. BrookLynn had her first day at preschool at Great Basin Child Care Center and Anthon had his first day with a new sitter. This day of first was endured by me as daddy went to work that very morning for his 48 hour shift at the firehouse.

Now thankfully all went well in the morning and we were out the door by the needed time to get Anthon and Brook to the sitter, Dalton to the bus stop, and Xandry and I to school by 8:00. My mind was a worry for all of them that day because this was my "kindergarten moment" with Dalton. I have always had the luxury of having him at school with me, spying on him at recess, and checking in on him in class. This year, I was watching my baby really grow up and I didn't like it.

Now being with my kids at school has its perks, but maybe it is a good thing that parents can't see the happenings behind the school doors. I checked on Xandry at lunch; sitting there amongst new faces and nobody was talking to her. I tried to make small talk with her and a little girl next to her, but with no avail. I wanted to scoop her up then and take her to my room, but knew that for her to make friends she had to be there with the other kids. Then I checked on her at recess. I watched my pretty little girl run to the tetherball poles where 4 other children were at. I then witnessed a gut wrenching scene where the four children huddled together and then walked off leaving Xandry alone. The tears just came to me as I walked outside. She ran to me and we walked to my room.

We cried together that night missing our friends at Mountain View, but more importantly we prayed together that Heavenly Father would send us good friends at this new school. I told Xandry to invite a classmate to have lunch in my room with her, but when I went to get her she smiled and said that Samuel had asked her to sit by him in the lunch room. I did check on her at recess for a bit and she was at the tetherball pole alone hitting the ball, but when I asked how recess was she said it was good. After school I asked if she had made any friends and she responded that some of the girls were at least talking to her now. My heart leapt!

That evening though Xandry asked if she could speak to me. She went on to tell me that she lied to me today because she didn't want to see me cry. Samuel didn't really ask her to sit by him and the girls did talk to her, but didn't ask her to join in anything. I wanted to cry again, but I kept it together because I knew I needed to be strong.

The next morning I still woke with tears in my eyes. I needed comfort. Bless Drew's heart he couldn't give me the needed hug that I wanted that morning since he was still at work. I kneeled again finding the comfort I needed in my Heavenly Father. As I got up, wiped my tears, I decided to place our names on the temple prayer roll. I slowly started to feel better.

That morning as Xandry walked with me on my early morning duty my heart and love bursted! Running towards us was little Kyra shouting Xandry's name. Kyra, our answer to prayers! How grateful I am for this little girl.

School has been in session for 2 weeks now and Xandry, Brook, and Anthon have been doing well. Dalton has had a rough patch, but seems to be blending in easier now. I am still worried about them all and wish I could just keep them under my wing. Even with these trials of worry, I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who has taught us once again that He is listening, He loves us, and He won't leave us alone.

1 comment:

Suz said...

Oh my gosh! I can't read your posts while at work - crying right along with you! My heart goes out to all, so glad things are getting better! You have some amazing children and you are one AMAZING mama!! Love you loads!!